Friday, April 1, 2011

Dim sum

My morning walk to work is about 45 minutes during which I try to go a new route every day, usually snaking my way through the markets that run through the little, convoluted alleys between most of the blocks in the older neighborhoods. As I walk I pick up a dumpling here, a bun there, an omelet-ish thing a little later on and by the time I'm at work I've spent about 75 cents American and I've had my fill.
I'm told that dim sum originated in Guangzhou and it is literally everywhere in the mornings - every restaurant and convenience shop has a steam table out front, and there are assorted carts and bicycles parked between those. Like many things I have eaten since I have arrived in China, I have no idea what is in the stuff that I order or what it will taste like until I've put it in my mouth. Luckily, everything dim sum has been excellent, and of my dinners most everything has been great, with the exception of one dish that I won't go into.
I've been trying to learn a phrase in Mandarin every day and today's phrase is "lai yige ba", or "I'll have that", so that I can stop pointing at dumplings and smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment