Friday, April 1, 2011

My new gig

I've settled into my new job here and my coworkers are all really sweet with varying degrees of competency in English. Luckily, I have years of experience with wild gesturing and drawing diagrams to make up for my own difficulties with English, so I've been able to get by just fine. The day after I arrived on the plane I was made the lead designer on a project to create the landscape for the corporate headquarters of a large financial concern and I've been churning out drawings and photoshopping renderings as fast as I can to keep up. I was a bit concerned at first, as landscape design is not technically my field, but I've managed to handle everything so far and even designed some things that I'm proud of. At the moment the setup couldn't be better for me, the principal is focused on winning projects and occasionally reviews my work, my new friend Cloudy is the project manager and handles the scheduling and manages the details, I have access to two interns who do really nice work and I design, solve issues, try to come up with ideas and make drawings. I have a feeling that this honeymoon period has an expiration date, but for now I'm enjoying myself.

Their work here is playful and modern with an emphasis on clean, attractive design and strong graphics. The office is less than a year old, so there is not a large body of work to see, but everyone here seems talented, eager and happy to collaborate and several have a substantial amount of experience.

The office is large and brand new with minimal furniture and windows on three sides that are always open. Two-thirds of the office space is a flexible gallery/lecture space where my boss intends to host talks and exhibitions. I'm on the 17th floor with a great view of the Tianhe District and the Tianhe sports park where basketball is king, soccer is popular and the American football field is used for soccer, marching bands, running, etc. I'll post a photo when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment